Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Porto - July 17, 2010

Morning view out our window!


Tom, a port wine lover?!!!!



Today was our first day in Porto, Portugal. We set a new family record, nobody woke up before 10. We had kind of a lazy morning. We did some laundry and downloaded some pictures, ate some lunch and then we went out. First we went on the 6 Bridges Boat Tour.  It took us under 6 bridges on the Douro River. It was really hot, but the breeze and spray felt nice. All of the houses built up on the hills on either side of the river looked so cool, it looked like a picture from a book or something!

After we got off the boat we strolled around in Porto looking for a mid-afternoon snack. We got sandwiches at a pastry shop and walked across the bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia to eat them. We sat near the bridge and while enjoying our sandwiches some crazy boys, close in age or a little older than Ryan, wearing their swimsuits stood on the narrow ledge on the side of the bridge over the water and jumped off. It was crazy! It looked super fun at the same time though. If my parents would have let me I would have totally done it! It was great entertainment, they would jump, swim, climb out, rush back to the bridge and do it again! They were jumping from probably 35 feet up!

After finishing our sandwiches we searched for a place where we could get a port wine tour, seeing as that is what Porto is known for. We found one and our tour guide was Bruno. He was very nice and told us a lot about port wine. It was pretty interesting. We also got to taste port wine. I do not like wine. It was so gross. Plus it burned my throat. My mom on the other hand really liked it. This is her “Oh I really like this one, it’s so smooth! But I also really like this one it has more of an oakier taste, but that one is divine!” It was kind of funny.

On our way back to the bridge to Porto there were more crazy bridge jumpers. We continued to watch them and then made our way back to our apartment. We hung out there for a while and then went back out to look for some dinner. We walked in what felt like 9 circles and then decided on a place we had passed already “Pimms.” It was really cool place. It was all white and there was mirrors covering the walls with shelves and pots. I ordered just regular spaghetti I don’t know about the rest of my family. It was really good though! After we paid we walked back down to the river front “Cais da Ribeira.” It is very lively down there, there are people everywhere and we kept seeing this walking band with an accordian, guitar and a tamborine. Their music was really good. Plus when it got really dark it was so pretty with all the lights reflecting on the river.

My parents ordered some beer and my brothers and I got an ice cream cone. We just sat at our table eating and drinking and then one of those clowny guys that blow up balloons and make animals came around. He insisted that he makes Trevor a balloon. He was a really funny character, it was so funny! He made Trevor a motorcycle. Then he insisted on making me a balloon. He made me a little yellow dog and inside its stomach is a mini balloon and when he handed it to me he says “Beware of boyfriend” it was hilarious. He made Ryan this little rat and when it’s “sad” it has a tail, but when it’s “happy” it has a boner.

We paid balloon man and then headed back home seeing as it was already near 11. Now I’m tired so I’m going to bed.
-Katie

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Lord. What are these children learning on this trip!! Good one, Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi katie, its mary i miss you! looks like you guys are having so much fun! I know you guys know spanish but do some most of the people speak spanish or english when they see you because they know you're tourist? Love you Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi katie its bridget it sounds like you had a very fun day and i miss you so much i wouldve junped off the bridge too if i could
    bye bye Bridget

    ReplyDelete